The Devil does not want the church to complete the giving of the gospel. He will use every trick to frustrate the finishing of this work, but Nehemiah completed the work God gave him to do.
By God’s grace enough members will step forward to rebuild our wall.
When you begin your small groups you are persevering like Nehemiah and completing the wall. As you build the wall (build your small group) distractions and lies will come to stop the work… But tell them, I’m too busy to come now! Pray that God will strengthen your hand!
Nehemiah 6:5–9 (ASBN): 6:5–9 Nehemiah’s enemies change their strategy. Since distraction and direct threats did not work, they now resort to rumors challenging the character and intent of Nehemiah and subtly suggesting royal ambitions. This is a serious threat, but the implied blackmail (v. 7) does not lead to the desired outcome. Nehemiah is not going to be sidetracked, and he treats the accusations as fiction. Instead of trying to clear his name, he recognized the intention of their action—and prays. While the Hebrew contains no explicit reference to prayer, the statement “strengthen my hands” suggests a quick prayer, which is underlined by the addition of “O God.”
Make Disciples, Build Community is God’s Plan for Today but the enemy wants to stop the work!
(Great Commission: Matt 28:18,19, Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Rebuilding the Walls can equate to the work of Making Disciples and Building Community
Nothing must be allowed to stop the effective work of the Gospel and Making Disciples…
How do you build a wall?
Survey the work, how long, high, thick, the type of brick, etc
Purchase right amount of bricks
Get cement and mix concrete
Begin the work of building,
Some people have done the surveying, got the tools, measured the walls etc but then they do nothing?!!
We have to start the job of building
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.” As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.” Heb 3:13-15
(1) Technology is on your side: (Facebook live, Instagram live, google groups, zoom account, whattsapp, (invest in your Internet Service,
(2) Upgrade Your Camera and invest in lightening, (everyone is doing it, your places of work are looking into options and are way ahead of the Church) Don’t be false, be your self online
(3) Select the Best part of your room or your flat, or your house to present yourself… (You need it quiet!, Mute Yourself unless you want to talk!) If You are Host practice using the controls like sharing your screen etc, and Zoom are still ahead as the most people friendly platform. Make good eye contact as you talk…
(4) Time his not to be taken for granted, people still have a life, during Corona and will have planned to be with at the times decided. Of course you can be flexible but always respect and ask before you extend it…
(5) Create a plan together for a simple program that is not too formal but has something exciting to follow and engage together with… Prayer should be central to all we do, if its a study use a clear bible version, remember if you are leading the group, contribute don’t control the group, folks just won’t come back! Preparation and Communication is king and Queen! Have good resources ready and prepared
Remain Totally Focused, What ever the situation, Nehemiah was not Distracted (But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. Acts 9:15
Resolve to Endure Hardship, (Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 2:3) Being imprisoned (2 Timothy 1:8) Being chained like a criminal (2 Timothy 2:9) Being abandoned (2 Timothy 4:10, 2 Timothy 4:16) Facing execution (2 Timothy 4:6)
Surround Yourself With the Right People, 2 Tim 4:11, Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry.
Make Love be the centre of all you do, leave Bitterness Outside the group, 2 Tim 4:16, 17 ( At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.)
Keep Mentoring Others, 2 Tim 4:7,( I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness)